Saturday, September 02, 2006

Life in Prague

OK, finally got settled in.

It was tough at first, looking for a place to live that has access to high speed internet is possible but not always cheap. Balx and I floated in purgatory at the Hostel waiting in line for time on the computer to try and find something that we wanted each day.

And there it was. A two bedroom place, for 1000$ a month, furnished, and with high speed internet. It seemed like a deal. Well you know how they say something too good to be true...

All over Prague there is the noise of city life, car thudding down cobblestone and tourists gossiping to one another. When, we entered into the ghetto of Praha 10, a hush of silence was the immediately present. It felt as like a forest where all the bird stopped singing in the presence of some hidden evils. Rusty steel bars edged about all the ground floor windows, and the surrounding building across the street looked as if a fire had burned a majority of it. Being that a great deal of it was crafted from pure communist cement, the blackened shell remained standing. We had arrived early as the walking time had been uncertain. It was there that we were greeted at the door by a Czech lost in the beatnik era in his English cap and black turtle neck. He was to be our guide around the apartment owned by his employers. He called himself E.Z. and hefted a large wood, African flute over to his other arm so he could shake our hands.

The tour led to a high ceiling hollowed out chuck of granite called a living space. Its edges were bordered with foot thick construction blue paint, giving the impression of a parking lot and the beaten wood floor creaked under the stress of our feet. The shower was equipped with an exotic porthole like would be found on a ship. Allowing passerby to look in upon those who wished shower. From the corners of the room, a single mother and her two kids glared at the foreign successors to her living space. The bedrooms consisted of a futon in the living room, and a separate room shut off by a curtain.

As with my description, the place was hardly ideal. But it was clean, and secure, and it did have internet. We decided it would be best to at least rent it for the month and look for other places from somewhere that didn’t resemble a frat party house every night. So here I sit, and I have to admit, with a little the love the place isn’t that bad. The walls are terrible but silence at night is nice. We are close to the old downtown, less touristy, which means cheap, dirt cheap. I can buy more food then I can carry home with just 20$. I did exactly that, moving in can make one very hungry.

During the communism phase of the Czech Republic the Russians displaced a lot of people from their homelands, mixing them into other countries within their controlled grasp. As such a small minority of Vietnamese now call Prague their home. It seems every food market down here is owned by them. They’re pleasant little fruit shacks, where one can enjoy a small selection of decent fruits. Alas, no avocado. I was hoping to find some for my omelets. I did however find out how Czechs do Mexican food. I received a burrito that had been baked whole leaving it crispy on the outside.

Now? I work my butt off at stealing from the rich. I have a lot to make up for if I want to keep up my income. I finished of a couple blackjack tours today, I’ll probably be moving into video poker within the week. Wish me luck!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home